“You never change things by fighting against the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.”
Buckminster Fuller, 20th century inventor and visionary.
While they may not be the most likely place you’d look to for addressing racial disparities, the American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE) is, in fact, a change maker on the frontlines of social change. Melarbit’s long-time partnership with AIChE has advanced several signature initiatives within its Doing a World of Good (DAWG) campaign.
The Doing a World of Good campaign is an example of how one organization had a vision for major change and is using that vision to transform an industry.
How did they do it? More importantly, how can you activate your community, cause or organization to do more good?
Transformative change means doing things differently. It is a disruptive process that seeks to produce significant, lasting results. Meaningful, transformational change takes time.
Intrinsic to DAWG are four replicable steps that you can take toward your own transformative change:
1. Recognize and build upon your strengths. It is far more efficient to leverage existing assets as the basis for new opportunities. Most readily accessible organizational assets often include:
- Your agency’s reputation
- Role as frontline first-responder or innovator
- And most always involves your human resources including those who are served by your cause or community.
2. Define the impact you seek by establishing your priorities. These priorities will act as a roadmap – a North Star – for the changes you want to create. Articulate the positive difference your organization will make and the wider, longer-term effects of your work.
3. Build a base of support, or early adopters; they will help to create, build, and maintain momentum. You can’t go very far without a ‘tribe’ who believe in and financially support your vision for change. It’s true what they say – 80% of the results come from 20% of the resources.
4. Expand your impact by broadening your reach and engaging a much larger population of passionate supporters and beneficiaries who share your commitment, will champion your cause, and engage their respective networks to achieve your societal goals. This is the epitome of relationship-based philanthropy.
The world is changing. Let us make that change impactful, inclusive, and financially sustainable.
To learn more about how Melarbit can help your organization harness the full range of resources it needs to achieve transformational change and maximize your social impact, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to set-up a complimentary consultation call.